Monday, December 1, 2014

Day 1 - Uecker- And so IT begins...

First lets start with the obvious. Marcothon is not for wimps. I found that out last year. It was hard. Running every single day in Illinois in December is hard. I swore I was one and done. I was never going to put myself through that again...

And here I am again. I think. I feel like Al Pacino in Godfather 3. "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."  Was he referring to Tabitha Stine when he said that? I think he was.

Last year I didn't know if I could run everyday for a month. I did. I didn't know if I could handle the brutal ice, snow and wind chills of the end of December. I did. I didn't know what I didn't know...This year I know all that and still I'm less sure about being able to complete it that I was last year.

I think I'm less sure because this year was not an easy one for this runner (and I use that term loosely). It's been an out and out slog at times. There were a lot of physical issues, such as spraining my ankle less than 2 weeks before the Shamrock Shuffle. A recurring pain in my side that doctors still haven't quite figured out what it is, and various other things. I kept running. 

So here it is, December 1, start of Marcothon 2014, and I'm still running. All be it more than a bit slower than last year. There are many reasons that I question whether or not this is a good idea.

Cal saw that I was writing this and asked, "Are you doing the Marcothon again this year?"

"Yup. Today was the first day."

"I bet it won't be as much fun this year."

"Why do you say that?"

"Polar Vortex."

...and then there's that....

Day 1 is in the books.

Look! It's a grumpy old Barney out running around the neighborhood.

I love how MapMyRun took 3.03 miles from my Garmin and made it 2.99. Bastards!

RUN / JOG ON DEC. 1, 2014

DISTANCE
2.99mi
DURATION
33:14
AVG PACE
11:06
KCAL
547






No comments:

Post a Comment